[Milton-L] Selden on verse

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Thu Oct 24 10:45:15 EDT 2013

Carl Bellinger,

The experienced reader (a construct of Attridge's) seeks to locate five
beat-realizing syllables in a pattern compatible both with the conventions
of iambic verse and with the determinate stress contours of the line as
natural language. That is, the metrical pattern that is perceived should
not contradict clear natural stress contrasts. According to iambic
convention, a ten-syllable line may end with the metrical patterns x/x/,
/xx/, or xx//, although those who follow Wimsatt do not recognize xx// as a
metrical pattern. The "double trochee" (  /x/x ) would be distinctly
abnormal, and I doubt that it ever occurs with clearly marked stress
contours, line-terminally, in poems with a traditional iambic set.

On burning marl, not like those steps
On Heaven's azure. . . .

"Not like those" is a flat stretch with no determinate stress contour.
Therefore readers are free to apply any of the three canonical metric
patterns. Since "not" and "those" are candidates for contrastive stressing,
one could say the half-line as /x/x. However, I am sure that Milton would
not have said it that way.

Most readers will interpret a flat patch in the alternating way, as Richard
Strier does here. In performance, one can raise the pitch on "those" to
indicate its importance while adjusting the timing to let "steps" realize
the beat.

The interpretation /xx/ also works fine and is what I would prefer. The
interpretation xx// is hard to render owing to the relative importance of
"not."

Michael