[Milton-L] Flaws

Hugh M. RICHMOND hmr at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 23 23:24:13 EDT 2013

I do agree that our generic tastes are more circumstantial than absolute. I
always saw Satan as a mere element of human consciousness (an allegorical
figure?) not a complete personality, and his associates (and Sin and Death)
as aspects or consequences of that frustrated egotism, which we see
integrated into full human consciousness only in the psychological
progressions of Adam and Eve. This is how they all emerged in our
production of "Paradise Lost" (see "John Milton's Drama of 'Paradise Lost'
", Peter Lang, 1992). In our production, the encounter of Satan, Sin and
Death was a real shock to the audiences - perhaps Milton's violation of
decorum was deliberate. Best wishes, Hugh richmond