[Milton-L] improving paradise lost

Duran, Angelica A duran0 at purdue.edu
Wed Oct 23 21:34:16 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Well, if Neil Forsyth is asking for more, let me add just a little bit.

In the Spanish, the Sin and Death allegory calls attention to itself or is set apart because the word for "Death" is feminine, "La Muerte," and the word for "Sin" is masculine, "El Pecado." The translator of the first and still most-used Hispanophone verse version of Paradise Lost (1812), Juan Escoiquiz, makes the choice to render "Sin" as "La Culpa," which is closer to "Fault," thus deflating the scene. I still remember coming upon the famous lines in my first English reading of the poem at U.C. Berkeley in which the "Portress of Hell" reveals her identity…

amazement seis'd
All th' Host of Heav'n back they recoild affraid
At first, and call'd me Sin (2. 758-60 )

I was surprised, close to amazed: I might have even immediately re-read the preceding lines to see if she made sense as Sin. The prose "Argument" at the beginning of Book II is complicit in the surprise because it does not name Sin and Death (Escoiquiz's "Argument" is similarly vague).  Years later, I was disappointed when I read the Escoiquize version of Sin's disclosure, which reads more like "Fault/Blame was the name that Heaven gave me" ("La Culpa el nombre fué, que me dió el Cielo"). That disappointment helped me appreciate the original a bit more.

As for Death, translator Escoiquiz mentions in his preface that there is no adequate substitute for "La Muerte," thus justifying his use of "La Muerte" for the male character. Even with that warning — and of course not all readers read prefaces -- when Sin recounts how upon the birth of  Satan's "only son" (2.728), she  cried out "La Muerte!" (2.787), she sounds crazed, unable to keep even gender straight. I have always found Milton's rendering of "Hell" as feminine in this passage and echoing back "Death" (2.788, 789) a bitter moment of sisterhood. So, I was again saddened, though I understood the linguistic constraints, by Escoiquiz's rendering of Milton's feminized Hell as the masculine "El Abismo" ("El Infierno" would have been no better in terms of gender). But, if I may give Escoiquiz a compliment: he made the wise choice of avoiding "Grim Death my Son" (2.804): "Nefesta Muerte mi hijo" would have just required to much readerly work.

Diana Benet Treviño's talk on the origin of evil and Sin's account of her origin was powerful. I too am glad about this Milton-l conversation since it lets me think about what she shared and the topics more generally  even more and from different angles. (Ha! I typed "angels" the first time, rather than "angels." ¡Adios, angels!)

--
Adios,
Angelica Duran