[Milton-L] Selden on verse

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Mon Oct 21 12:10:48 EDT 2013

Selden's odd comment sounds like a reaction to someone's claim that
versification had some inherent relation to logic.

Everyone understood "quantity" to refer to the patterning of long and
short. Therefore it is not clear why Milton refers to "fit quantity" in his
defense of blank verse, given that he does not attempt to observe quantity
in the versification of PL. Maybe he was not clear on the distinction
between length and accent. (Remember that everyone was confused about
English verse theory.)

Apparently the spoken rhythm of classical Greek (the natural language) was
actually based on duration, some syllables being perceived as about twice
as long as others. So when speech rhythm was stylized as
musical-dance-poetic rhythm, a foot (a term originally referring to a dance
step) had a certain time value. There was a mathematical basis for
foot-substitution, long-long being literally equal to long-short-short.
Notice that, in the branch of modern English verse theory that proposes
nearly free substitution of foot-types, there is no phonetic basis for
substituting a spondee for an iamb except syllable count--so this is merely
a syllabic theory of the line that disguises itself by drawing foot-bars.
Any two syllables may be substituted for two other syllables.

While the rhythm of classical Latin (the natural language) had a durational
aspect, stress accent was more salient, and increasingly so in medieval
Latin. So when the Latin poets adopted Greek quantitative versification, it
was already an artificial imposition, and by early modern times, readers
may not actually have heard a durational rhythm in Latin poetry. Rather,
they perceived a visual pattern created by spelling rules that
distinguished "long" from "short." The aural rhythms of classical Latin
poetry sounded like a sort of free verse, just as the experiments in
English quantitative verse sound like free verse to us today, except for
Campion, who superimposed spelling rules over accentual rhythms.

Everyone knew the substitution rules and spelling rules for long and short
because they were included in the standard Latin textbooks.

See Attridge, *Well-Weigh'd Syllables.*