[Milton-L] Selden on verse

Bob Blair bblair48 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 20:25:28 EDT 2013

I'm making some notes on Selden's Table-talk, and it may be driving me silly, but in Reynold's edition, the last entry under the head 'Poetry' is "Verse proves nothing but the quantity of syllables; they are not meant for logic." The next head is "Pope".

As much as Milton praises Selden in Areopagitica, I doubt he would agree with this idea.  Is there any evidence that Milton had a transcript (it wasn't published until 1689) of Milward's notes read to him?  It seems likely that such manuscripts existed by 1656.

Bob Blair