[Milton-L] Milton's blank verse: stresses and sources

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 15:31:25 EDT 2013

>My question has to do with the relation between the line boundary (...) and the syntactic boundaries (...)

Dear Michael, in Dante as well as in Ariosto and even in Tasso's
"Jerusalem" poems, the final word in a verse usually corresponds to
the last word in a sentence, or a meaningful part of a sentence at
least. Enjambements are a bit more frequent in Tasso, but nothing to
be compared with Milton.

Everything changes with Tasso's long poem "Il Mondo Creato," where
enjambed lines are the RULE. That's why it 'would' be very hard to
memorize them too, provided anyone were interested in doing so. But
this poem would remain an exception until the 20th century, and very
few people ever read it --- John Milton among them, possibly.

[In my website Tassonomia, after being finished with the selected
passages from "Gerusalemme Conquistata," (in some years) I would like
to translate the whole text of "Il Mondo Creato" into English, it
would a trivial matter of some 10,000 verses.]

Best!
dh