[Milton-L] Milton's blank verse: stresses and sources

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Fri Oct 18 14:07:50 EDT 2013

Eric, thanks for the news. Every academic library should hold Attridge's
works on versification.

I believe that Attridge, in *The Rhythms of English Poetry* (1982),
provided the first satisfactory account of English metrics ever. It is
based on both a literary person's ear for the sounds of verse and a
linguist's understanding of the sound-patterns of natural language, and
especially the nature of stress. Incidentally, the linguistic concepts
Attridge uses have not been superceded by further developments in
professional linguistics, so far as I can tell.

For better or worse, in this book Attridge was determined to make a fresh
start and develop a new vocabulary and notation to describe an inclusive
theory of the English meters. This makes his work difficult of access.
There is the larger problem of paradigm shock for those who have
assimilated one of the older theories of meter.