[Milton-L] Milton's blank verse: stresses and sources

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Fri Oct 18 13:14:17 EDT 2013

John, I saw a video of the virtuoso PL reciter at the work of memorizing,
and he was counting fives on his fingers. I also find that helpful in
memorizing or recalling passages of PL because there is such a strong
tension between the verse unit and the syntactic units, and also because
Milton uses a lot of parenthetical elements that I tend to drop without
noticing as the meter continues for a while without them. I don't have to
count on my fingers to assimilate a line of Pope's, although admittedly the
rhyme helps a lot. But beyond that, Pope's lines are distinct 5-beat units
reinforced by syntax.

I envy your facility, and clearly I should have said "hard *for me* to
memorize." May I ask, what role does visual memory play for you? I suspect
my visual memory is relatively weak. Something I do to cut down on the
dropped phrases is to try to fix a visual memory of the words at the
beginning or end of the line.

Michael