[Milton-L] Milton's blank verse: stresses and sources

Erick Ramalho ramalhoerick at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 11:14:02 EDT 2013

Some of the
topics in this thread are finely dealt with in Derek Attridge’s new book: ‘Moving
Words. Forms of English poetry’. It has just come out and deals with various thought-provoking
lines, including some by Milton and some by Borrowing, and also with enjambment
(or ‘run-on’, as Attridge prefers naming it). I have just finished reading my
pre-ordered copy. As I read it, Michael Gillum’s worthy contribution to the
topics of prosody and metre in the list kept coming to my mind, since he often
mentions Attridge, as well as John Creaser’s fine reading of PL in connection
with Attridge’s approach to metre (another study Gillum often, and rightly, recalls). Particularly chapter 3 of Attridge's book, though it contrasts English and French (rather than Italian) dramatic verse, is illuminatingly relevant to some of the topics mentioned in the thread.

Regards,

Erick Ramalho