[Milton-L] Milton's blank verse: stresses and sources

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Fri Oct 18 10:30:41 EDT 2013

Dario,

My question has to do with the relation between the line boundary (the
space after the 10th or 11th syllable) and the syntactic boundaries (ends
of phrases, clauses, or sentences)--do they tend to correspond (end-stopped
line) or not (enjambed line)? With frequent and strong enjambment, we tend
to lose track of the line as a five beat unit. That's why PL is so hard to
memorize. Also it tends to throw major syntactic boundaries (cesurae)
towards the beginning and ends of lines, after syllables 2,3, 7, or 8, as
opposed to the medial cesurae that prevail in more conservative metrical
styles.

Regarding versification at least, Samuel Johnson was wrong to say that
Milton's style was the same from first to last, because the Nativity Ode
does not have many enjambed lines, whereas heavy enjambment is the most
distinctive characteristic of PL's metrical style. I don't know of any
precedent in English, so I wondered if there is one in Italian poetry.