[Milton-L] Milton's blank verse: stresses and sources

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 17 18:57:43 EDT 2013

J. Michael Gillum: In "My Last Duchess," Browning breaks up the iambic line
in PL fashion, which has the effect of burying the couplet rhymes in
enjambments.  I don't know if that is what Belli was talking about in his
comment on "natural-seeming" rhyme.

======

The rhymes are so successfully hidden in Sordello that it's difficult to
read a page keeping them in mind. The first time I read the poem I missed
them completely, thinking I was reading blank verse.

Carrol