[Milton-L] Word and Thing

Horace Jeffery Hodges horacejeffery at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 19:02:13 EDT 2013

To Carol's point, I would add that the crucial thing to note is this:

"That is, things in actual fact should be made to accord with the
implication attached to them by names."

In short, the rectification was of things, not words. Words are
prescriptive. This fits with the general Confucian focus on reforming
society to fit Confucian teachings.

Jeffery Hodges

Ewha Womans University
Seoul, South Korea

Novella: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E18KW0K (*The Bottomless Bottle of Beer
*)

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bottomless-Bottle-of-Beer/204064649770035
 (*The Bottomless Bottle of Beer*)

Blog: http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/ (*Gypsy Scholar*)

Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic
Texts"

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

Home Address: