[Milton-L] Samson Agonistes performed Oct 14th in NYC

David Ainsworth dainsworth at as.ua.edu
Thu Oct 10 13:14:03 EDT 2013

The OED does have a draft addition dated June 2013 with the colloquial
modern meaning of epic, or OED 3 "A story, or series of events, worthy
to form the subject of an epic" could apply.

It is interesting to ponder how one would write ad copy for Samson
Agonistes (assuming one would ever desire to write advertising). Does
one address plot? "Biblical hero destroys temple?" "...fulfills prophecy
and liberates his people?" Milton himself says the work's a tragedy and
refers his readers to Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides, but he leaves
the plot for such educated readers to judge themselves (and the word
"judge" would seem especially meaningful in this context).

If anyone on the list attends the reading, I'd be interested to hear the
degree to which it takes liberties with the text.

David