[Milton-L] Word and Thing

JD Fleming jfleming at sfu.ca
Thu Oct 10 11:17:01 EDT 2013

The topic of 16th- and 17th-century language reform is complex but well-researched. On the larger European tradition, as flowing from the Lullian version of the art of memory, see Paolo Rossi, Logic and the Art of Memory: The Quest for a Universal Language, t rans. Stephen Clucas (Chicago 2000). On the English Baconian tradition specifically, see Rhodri Lewis, Language, Mind and Nature: Artificial Languages in England from Bacon to Locke ( Cambridge 2007). Several points: while the notion of recovering a non-arbitrary language of Adam, or identifying it with a surviving natural language (eg Chinese or Hebrew or a Native American tongue) was current in the period, including in England, it was not the main idea of the language reformers associated with the Royal Society, whose work culminates in John Wilkins's Essay towards a real character . Rather, working from Bacon, they assumed (actually on an Aristotelian basis) that the oral diversity of human languages expressed a commonality of human notions. If one could craft a sign system—arbitrary, but effective—to indicate these notions directly, one might thereby achieve a script that could be “read off” in any language. Arabic numerals and Chinese characters, both graphic scripts utterable in many different oral forms, suggested the plausibility of such a scheme. Insofar as human notions were about things in the world, the Baconian script of notions would constitute a “real character” (from the Latin res ): a language of things, not mere words. If based on a complete scientific taxonomy, a real character might be made “philosophical”: each of its terms constituting a scientific definition of a fact, while the structure of the language—orthography, syntax, and so on—expressed the interrelations between the facts.

It is not accidental that some of the language reformers, notably, I believe, Dalgarno, also actively sought a theoretical semantics of minimal primitives: an account of language that is, in which only nouns (and maybe a few other elements) really count.

There's a lot to think about here; but also a lot of books, from a lot of disciplines, to help. No need to wonder. JD Fleming