[Milton-L] Word and Thing

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Thu Oct 10 10:09:34 EDT 2013

I had thought what Sprat and those guys wanted was only one word for each
kind of thing (or matter, action, property, process)--a scientific
vocabulary free of ambiguity and literary ornament. I don't think it had
any connection with the idea of an Adamic language of essences--not that
words can be intrinsically right, just that each word should have one clear
agreed-upon meaning.

A sidebar--does anyone know what the Confucians meant by "rectification of
names"?