[Milton-L] Samson Agonistes performed Oct 14th in NYC

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Wed Oct 9 15:53:33 EDT 2013

The words that jarred on me were "without his hair" ("the biblical hero, imprisoned, blind and without his hair, faces God"). Without his hair? Really? Samson refers to "these [not "those"] redundant locks" (567) as if they had regrown and were now present and flowing in waves ("redundant" in the Latin sense) even though he thinks they are also redundant in the other sense ("to no purpose"). The point is that Samson has got his strength back (which is why he is able to perform wonders in both mill and temple). Does anyone seriously believe that Samson is still physically weak during the action of the drama? Harapha might have imagined that he was before his encounter with Samson, but he surely knows otherwise by the time he exits, which is why the encounter (pace Dr. Johnson) is not redundant.

John Leonard