[Milton-L] textbook suggestions? literature of the English civil wars

Mario A. DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 2 15:37:11 EDT 2013

Dear Hugh Wilson,

Your kind words take my breath away, as did Hannibal's and those of
others'.  I am really grateful and humbled.

I have not had either the occasion or the will to get back to
scholarship since retiring and moving to the Asheville, NC, area, mainly
because we learned after the first year of our retirement that my wife
had a difficult brain tumor; the resultant operation was a disaster.
She died last year, after almost fourteen years of enduring her
troubles.  I wrote a memorial; if I can find it, I'll attach it.

But I haven't been altogether inactive.  I teach every term at our
remarkable College for Seniors at UNC Asheville, part of the imaginative
and flourishing Center for Creative Retirement (wonderful name -- and
I've had fun amicably mocking it in a couple of public presentations!).
It has been my salvation in many ways. The thousand or so members of the
Center are very interesting people, and Center members enjoy a broad
sense of collegiality.  This term, I'm doing Vergil; next term, Dante;
and in the Spring /Macbeth/ and /Othello/.  I feel downright privileged.

My very best regards, Hugh,

Mario