[Milton-L] Sacred symbols in late Renaissance poetry

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Sat Jun 8 16:41:27 EDT 2013

Dear Dario,
You always have something very interesting to say and very universal and
broad in perspective. If you mean an animal that is opposite to the Serpent
in Milton's garden of Eden, it would depend on whether the act of the fall
has occurred or not, then all animals share with the serprent's degeneration
as a result. But in Renaissance literature, I think the lion represents the
virtues of a good leader or the king. In medieval tradition, the sun,
Christ, and the lion were linked as a triad.The astrological sign of the sun
was Leo (lion). Gold is the metal of the sun and is linked to the color of
the lion and his symbol as king. All these could be seen as opposed to the
Serpent, symbol of Original Sin.
That's all that I can think of. I'm sure others have better information on
this matter.
Salwa
Salwa Khoddam PhD
Professor of English Emerita