[Milton-L] "Fortune" in Renaissance literature

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:43:15 EDT 2013

Jim, flattery will get you everywhere!  I have even been known to say "My
stars and garters," and who will remember that from the 50s? Oddly enough
the Facebook context was a group about growing up in Bellingham WA, and
it's nostalgia from the 20s to the 80s. Much fun, and reminding me of
things I thought I'd forgotten (and might be better off if I had!)

 Interesting thought, though: does Milton ever use expletives? I can't
think of a single instance. Maybe "sons of Belial" or "ye stratagems of
hell" but surely not "Heavenly Muse."

Nancy Charlton