[Milton-L] "Fortune" in Renaissance literature

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Wed Jul 31 17:22:03 EDT 2013

The author of *The Discarded Image* would know that one could appropriately
thank the stars for an ability, although his Hermit might place the credit
elsewhere..

The expression is so mechanical in English that I'm not sure it ever
registered on me as implying a theory of causation. "Thank *my* stars"
seems to be more common than "thank *the* stars" once you go back before
1800. "My stars!" used to be a common exclamation of surprise or alarm in
American English.