[Milton-L] Milton's exegetical sources

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Wed Jul 31 14:59:21 EDT 2013

Bonjour, Etienne.

I am not sure where you have heard that Milton was not much influenced by other thinking.  As I tell my students, it might be more accurate to say he summarizes everything that goes before him.  Or as my dissertation director told me, looking for influence in Milton is like looking for hay in a haystack (i.e., rather than the proverbial needle).

If you have access to the journal _Huntington Library Quarterly_, they just did a special number on _Paradise Regained_.  Milton's debt to church fathers is especially traced in Elizabeth Marie Pope, _"Paradise Regained": The Tradition and the Poem_ (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 1947). You will surely also want to see Barbara K. Lewalski, _Milton's Brief Epic: The Genre, Meaning, and Art of "Paradise Regained"_ (Providence, RI: Brown UP), 1966.

My fellow Miltonists will surely have further suggestions.

Best wishes,

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi