[Milton-L] "Fortune" in Renaissance literature

JCarl Bellinger dionhalic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 01:25:20 EDT 2013

Forgive me if this source has already been cited, but here's a link to a
nicely compact article by Aaron Taylor titled "The Rota Fortunæ Motif from
Boethius to Lewis" Below the link I have copied the text of the article's
seven footnotes.
-Carl

http://logismoitouaaron.blogspot.com/2010/01/rota-fortun-motif-from-boethius-to.html?m=1

[1] Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy, trans. S.J. Tester (Camridge,
MA: Harvard U, 2003), pp. 79, 81.

[2] A.L. Rowse, ed., The Annotated Shakespeare, Vol. 3 (NY: Clarkson N.
Potter, 1978), p. 222.

[3] C.S. Lewis, Poems, ed. Walter Hooper (San Diego: Harcourt, 1992), p. 4.

[4] The quote is from G.K. Chesterton, ‘A Hymn’,Collected Poetry, Pt. 1,
Vol. X of Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton (SF: Ignatius, 1994), p. 141:O
God of earth and altar,Bow down and hear our cry,Our earthly rulers
falter,Our people drift and die;The walls of gold entomb us,The swords of
scorn divide,Take not thy thunder from us,But take away our pride.From all
that terror teaches,From lies of tongue and pen,From all the easy
speechesThat comfort cruel men,For sale and profanationOf honour and the
sword,From sleep and from damnation,Deliver us, good Lord.Tie in a living
tetherThe prince and priest and thrall,Bind all our lives together,Smite us
and save us all;In ire and exultationAflame with faith, and free,Lift up a
living nation,A single sword to thee.(1907)It is worth noting that the
British heavy metal band, Iron Maiden, used the first stanza (and a barely
recognisable take on the last) in their song, ‘Revelations’.

[5] C.S. Lewis, The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval &
Renaissance Literature(Cambridge: Cambridge U, 2002), pp. 81-2.

[6] Ibid., pp. 176-7.

[7] Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy: Cantica I—Hell, trans. Dorothy
Sayers (London: Penguin, 1949), pp. 112-3.