[Milton-L] "Fortune" in Renaissance literature

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 14:13:36 EDT 2013

>the concept of Fortune among medieval and Renaissance writers, specifically Dante and Boethius

Salwa, many thanks for this reference. I really need to read that book
of Lewis'.

Yes, things _are_ complex here. A chapter in "Moby Dick" may also be
recalled, the one dealing with the "three hands" that influence
everybody's destiny.

As to Dante and Boethius, interestingly enough, the former follows the
latter quite often in his own philosophy and theology (Beatrice in
Paradiso speaks like Philosophy in De Consolatione Philosophiae, etc.)
but, stubbornly against Boethius and a lot of Christian writes, Dante
_does_ believe in the power of the stars, although he adds that 'of
course' it was decided so by God in His providence when He created the
universe --- N.B. not after the Fall, like in Milton.

My beloved Torquato Tasso, the king of ambiguity, mocks astrology in
his long poem "Il Mondo Creato" (The Creation of the World, a source
of PL) published in 1592, but he then makes abundant use of it in his
long poem "Gerusalemme Conquistata," published just one year later.
This poem is often, badly, described as a super-Catholicized version
of his former poem "Gerusalemme Liberata" (Jerusalem Delivered), but
it is not, at all.