[Milton-L] "Fortune" in Renaissance literature

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Sun Jul 28 13:37:25 EDT 2013

This is a very important quotation from Lewis, Dario. What I take from it is
the second sentence, which indicates the complexity of the tension between
Fortune, free will, and Divine Providence. Even the Hermit, in all his
wisdom, confesses "there is something about all this that I do not
understand" and we *may* not be meant to understand it at all. Not a cop
out, just an affirmation of the mysteries of the universe that philosophy
cannot explain. In his *The Discarded Image,* chs. 5 & 7, Lewis discusses
the concept of Fortune among medieval and Renaissance writers, specifically
Dante and Boethius, and the *influenza* of the planets on the inhabitants of
the earth.
What studies on Milton, Fortune, and Free Will have been done? I would
appreciate some suggestions from our Milton scholars.
Thanks,
Salwa
Salwa Khoddam PhD
Professor of English Emerita