[Milton-L] Milton Cento

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 10:56:15 EDT 2013

I regularly teach Creative Writing: Poetry and usually incorporate a week
on comic verse (yes, including the limerick) whenever I teach it. One of my
students just wrote a Milton cento -- thought the list might enjoy it as a
mild diversion.

John Milton- Vulgar Wretch

By Michael Eaton

Our number may afright some Virgin sure

Thou, when the Bridegroom with his feastfull friends

Hast gain’d thy entrance, Virgin wise and pure

Why shouldst though, but for som fellonious end

Mistres of yon princely shrine

To help insnared chastity

O no something in thy face did shine

To further this nights solemnity

As they come forward the genius of the wood appears

Oh hurtful worm with canker'd venom bites

Nor to their idle orbs doth sight appear

But such a sacred and home-felt delight

Shakes the high thicket, haste I all about

The loose train of thy amber dropping hair

To give me answer from her mossie couch

Such where the deep transported mind may scare

And sing to those that hold the vital shears

In the blind mazes of this tangled wood

But who are these? For with join pace I hear

Sent by some som spirit of mortals good

Break off; break off, I feel the different pace

Such sober certainty of waking bliss

Thus while he spake, each passion dimm’d his face

The one intense the other still remiss

Inimatable sounds, yet as we go

It were a journey like the path to Heav’n

Gold in all her equipage : besides to know

Make signe of resistance, but are all driven

O’er sensual folly and intemperance

FAIREST flower no sooner blown but blasted

Lines Taken From

Milton, John. *The Poetical Works of John Milton. *E-book. 23 July 13

“A Mask Presented at Ludlow Castle, 1634 &c”. Milton

“Anno Aetatis 17. On the Death of a Fair Infant Dying of a Cough”. Milton

“Arcades”. Milton

“Il Penseroso”. Milton

“Paradise Lost”. Milton

”Samson Agonistes”. Milton

“Sonnet IX”. Milton

“To Mr. Cyriak Skinner Upon His Blindness”. Milton

“To Sr. Henry Vane the Younger”. Milton