[Milton-L] "Fortune" in Renaissance literature

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 10:06:55 EDT 2013

By chance (or not??), in reading C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, I
came across this quotation that provides an interesting standpoint on
our current issue, made by an author who surely had reflected on the
Medieval and Renaissance worldviews a lot:

"Daughter," said the Hermit, "I have now lived a hundred and none
winters in this world and have never yet met any such thing as Luck.
There is something about all this that I do not understand: but if
ever we need to know it, you may be sure that we shall."

___"The Horse and His Boy," ch. "The Hermit of the Southern March"