[Milton-L] Utterly Off Topic . . .

Horace Jeffery Hodges horacejeffery at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 07:43:18 EDT 2013

Margaret Arnold: Thanks.

Jim Watt: Thanks, also. Sorry to be so late responding -- I've been out all
day. I finally had some time to inspect the Western Rose Window and see
that it concerns the Revelation of Saint John. The expression "Johannine
Theology" usually refers to the Gospel of John. The Greek style and the
theological focus of the two works are very different, and most New
Testament scholars believe the two works are by very different authors.

What the two have in common is a concern with high Christology, and they
share this concern with the Book of Hebrews, but they handle the
Christology differently. The Gospel appeals to Logos Christology,
Revelation to angel Christology, and Hebrews to Melchizedekian Christology.
There might be a lot to say about these three and how they were reconciled
with each other, but by the 13th century Revelation would have had a lot of
theological reflection applied to it, so I'd guess -- in my ignorance --
that one can't draw direct links between a passage in Revelation and a
scene in the stained glass of the Rose Window.

A bit like evaluating links between a biblical passage and some lines
in *Paradise
Lost*.

Jeffery