[Milton-L] oceana and milton's hell?

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 17:19:35 EDT 2013

Dear all,

It seems clear to me that Books I and II of *Paradise Lost*, particularly
the building of Pandemonium and the Demonic Council, owe significant and
direct debts to some of the more absurd passages from James Harrington's *
Oceana* (1656).  In such a case the bag of personae which comprise the
character of Satan would include both Harrington and Cromwell, based on the
evidence I see.

I've run MLA and library searches and can find by this means no discussion
pertinent to this hypothesis.  I'm hoping to write up an *N&Q* piece
supposing these ideas have not been developed.  I'm thinking that they
have, or must have -- perhaps in Fallon, Kahn, or some collection or
journal that I'm missing and do not have on hand.

I would be grateful for any pointers to scholarship on this intersection of
Harrington's *Oceana* and Milton's Hell.

Best wishes,

Brendan