[Milton-L] Vallombrosa

Mario A. DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 20 11:12:53 EST 2013

Dear Friends,

I came across an odd notation recently declaring that Milton
misrepresented Vallombrosa in the famous line from PL I, "Thick as
autumnal leaves that strow the brooks / Of Vallombrosa." The writer
claimed that the line proves Milton was never at Vallombrosa; there are
only evergreens at present day Vallombrosa.  But as our local arborist
pointed out to me when I quoted the line, evergreens will gradually
displace deciduous trees and even take over a forest.  I don't recall
how dominant evergreens were when the great international Milton bash
took place in the late 1980s, bringing Miltonists from all over to
Vallombrosa and Florence. Had the evergreens completely displaced the
deciduous trees on those mountains?

Mario DiCesare