[Milton-L] Milton-L Digest, Vol 75, Issue 14

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Tue Feb 19 18:20:30 EST 2013

Right onward, John, as so often with your close readings/hearings of Milton. The
only point I would add is that as always with Milton the sound is just as
powerfully important to what the poem says/means as the nautical imagery, which
is the key to figurative sense.  A reader should listen, always:  here, Milton
all but draws himself up like Samson, and the three words STEER RIGHT ONWARD are
spoken as if through firm-set jaws, a stern and rockbound statement that he will
never give in, never let himself weaken.  It is a quieter and less bombastic
statement than Henley's "I am the Master of my Fate, I am the Captain of my
Soul" in the aptly named INVICTUS), and therefore an even more English one. I
think one of the things Keats learned from his close readings of Milton was this
management of level stressing for great effects.  One of the best things F. R.
Leavis ever did was to talk about how Keats created/used such an effect, for
instance, Keats's Ode To Autumn, when Autumn, "Sometimes like a gleaner, thou
doet keep/ Steady thy laden head across a brook" (I may have the quote slightly
wrong).  And you will recall that Keats, when he read lines with such effects,
"hoisted himself up and looked burly."

For me, that moment in Milton's sonnet raises goosebumps.  It could not be LESS
trite, because it makes a plain heroic statement with the utmost of firm
resolve, and Milton always means and lives what he says.

I have been reading the Milton List comments to Stella, who usually just listens
and moves on, but I couldn't resist remarking on this matter.

Carter Revard