[Milton-L] To Cyriack Skinner upon his Blindness

Duran, Angelica A duran0 at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 19 16:30:30 EST 2013

Dear all,

This has indeed been helpful, especially but not only Christopher Baker's
reminder of the Biblical echo in the phrase. I do not consider
trite-sounding  as a negative per se. This discussion reminds me of how
much the trite-sounding conclusion of the Old English "Deor's Lament" that
I was memorizing for my PhD qualifying exams (_Beowulf_ to Billy Collins,
as we called it),"That too did pass; so shall this" (modern English
translation) encouraged me, not just for the exams (!) but for all facets
of life, even as much as I acknowledged that it sounded trite, well-worn
because so many of us have needed it or wanted it over the centuries.

Adios,
Angelica