[Milton-L] To Cyriack Skinner upon his Blindness

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Tue Feb 19 15:54:00 EST 2013

Angelica,
I agree with those who think the tone of this passage that you quoted of the
sonnet is heroic and the imagery of sailing onward sustains this tone. It is
vivid as an image of life's journey and bearing up our "crosses." There
should not be too much focus on the one phrase "right onward." The over-all
theme overrides whatever common usage it might suggest. I see no triteness
of tone in it but more of a tone of heroism in  accepting what God's
commands and purposes are for us and forging ahead.
Thank you for this interesting and provocative question.
Best,
Salwa

Salwa Khoddam PhD
Professor of English Emerita