[Milton-L] Milton-L Digest, Vol 75, Issue 14

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Tue Feb 19 13:14:55 EST 2013

I can hear nothing trite in 'bear up and steer / Right onward'.  I can
see that 'uphillward' might convey that impression (especially after the
nautical imagery in 'bear up' and 'steer'), but Jim is surely right on
when he says 'Right onward' is 'heroic in the face of adversity'. Both
the language and imagery (sailing against a head wind) look forward to
Satan's journey through Hell and Chaos, when he is likened to a merchant
fleet 'Close sailing from Bengala' as it plies 'Stemming nightly toward
the pole'. ('Close' and 'stemming' are also nautical terms.) 'Bear up'
also plays on the senses 'uphold principles' and 'keep up courage' (OED
21), ideas that Milton took seriously.

John Leonard