[Milton-L] Milton-L Digest, Vol 75, Issue 14

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:39:18 EST 2013

I read the tone as heroic in the face of adversity, Milton believing that
he suffered a loss of eyesight because of his defense of liberty in
England.  I don't mean to argue that "steer / Right onward" might sound
trite, but it could be that he hoped the serious tone of the poem up until
that point would carry that construction through as well, and that the
reference to his "noble task" would elevate it afterwards.  He also seems
to consider the fame he won for his engagement of this noble task as
compensation for his loss of eyesight.

So I would say that the "still bear up and steer / Right onward" is not
later to be rejected, but is supported by the rest of the poem, while the
previous clause beginning with "Yet I argue not..." is the idea to be
rejected: that Milton might argue with God about his loss of eyesight.  He
seems to be positioning himself as facing the temptations of Job here and
coming out on top.

Jim R