[Milton-L] question about writer who justified Milton's blindness

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:30:53 EST 2013

Lyman Gin,

I don't know the answer about the later female author, though I sure am
interested to know!  Here's are two relevant paragraphs on this early
Restoration motif from my currently-being-reworked book project, with
notes.  Remember: still very crude!

Best,

Brendan

         Samson, lamenting that he is “dark in light expos’d/ To daily
> fraud, contempt, abuse and wrong” (75-76), gives voice to the utter
> vulnerability experienced by Milton during the turbulent months surrounding
> the Restoration. Milton had remained in hiding, “like a soldier listening
> to strange noises in the dark,” as Charles II was welcomed by raucous
> crowds. He found himself fallen upon “evil tongues,” “in darkness, and with
> dangers compast round,” not only threatened by the prospects of execution
> and assassination, whether in hiding or as a prisoner in the Tower between
> October and December, but also repeatedly pilloried in the press, so
> commonly ridiculed for his blindness that “Blind Milton” became an enduring
> epitaph.i <#sdendnote1sym> Though of course Milton could not read these
> printed attacks himself, his friends and protectors likely furnished him
> news pertaining to his precarious situation. Edward Phillips, in his *Life
> of Milton*, notes that his uncle “prepared for the Press an answer” to
> one such attack which, as J. Milton French suggests, may have been written
> by Robert Dunkin shortly before the Restoration. “Whether by the disswasion
> of Friends,” writes Phillips, “as thinking him a Fellow not worth his
> notice, or for whatever cause I know not, this Answer was never publisht.”
> (However, as French notes, little is known about Milton’s reply or the
> specific attack to which he was responding, which may have been written any
> time between 1660 and 1674.)ii
> <#sdendnote2sym>

i <#sdendnote1anc> Parker, 568; *PL*, 7.26-27.
ii <#sdendnote2anc> The Phillips quote is from French, *Life Records*. See
4.293-94.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM, cbartonphd1 at verizon.net <
cbartonphd1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I don't have my library to hand, but I think you will find that it was
> Morus (Alexander More) who made those claims.  You are perhaps remembering
> Milton's excoriation of Morus' wife in response.
>
> Sent from my Virgin Mobile phone

Assistant Professor
Dept. Literature and Languages
Christian Brothers University