[Milton-L] J. Martin Evans, 1935-2013

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Wed Feb 13 07:22:19 EST 2013

Martin made the lines of Milton live under the enthusiasm of a Welsh bard.
I am grateful that I heard his voice a,nd saw the flash of light in his
eyes as he made the poem a breathing organism of beauty. During that NEH
summer at Sanford, he introduced us to his American mentor, George
Sensabaugh, Methodist circuit rider on the Cmberland plateau in Tennessee.
Martin out-historied the New Historicism with his reading and scholarship.
Thanks for the life of a great teacher. From his student,Kemmer Anderson