[Milton-L] Nothing to do with Milton, but . . . Dario's Tasso Digression

Carter Kaplan antinomian2 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 23 21:04:04 EST 2013

Dario et al.

I would like to qualify my remarks regarding Dario's new translation of Creation of the World, and put them into context.

Joseph Tusiani's 1982 translation of Il mondo creato is superb.
 Evidently, Dario's new version is, in places, closer to Tasso. The 1982 version occasionally leaves
 a line or two out, or omits small bits in order to adhere to a ten-syllable line. That said, I should like to state unequivocally with heavy emphasis that it is beautiful, full of wonders, and delightful in the most sensual and lyrical sense of the word.  Dario's version is in blank verse--and, yes, it is also wonderfully beautiful and effusive.  It is especially rewarding seeing where both translations stumble over something. It is
 possible to compare the passages and determine--through a sort of "triangulation"--what should (or what could) be the
proper English formulation. As I "negotiate" my way through the editorial process with both translations open before me, it is sometimes gratifying to see how the protean character of the English language can achieve precise representations of effects and ideas that in Italian remain figurative and poetic.

...and, my goodness--and this is very much on topic--Milton's project to derive modernism from reform Christianity finds a clear antecedent in Tasso. Indeed, Tasso demonstrates that the early-modern project is a child of the counter-reformation as well.

Tasso's exotic poem is an apt addition to what International Authors is evolving into. Creation of the World is arguably "avant-garde"--a dazzling work of philosophical art for the sake of philosophical art.  Tasso's poem amply underscores the distinction between myth and philosophy, which I believe to be one of the highest aims of poetic art.  Moreover, the book will add much to International Authors' growing list, which is advancing (of its own accord) a new modernism in the context of a world-wide open society.

Carter Kaplan

International Authors
Highbrow