[Milton-L] Satanic Monument Next to Ten Commandments

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 15:29:32 EST 2013

I regret there's no picture of the proposed monument to Satan. The Satanic
Temple, however, seems straight-up and has a substantial website:
http://www.thesatanictemple.com/. I'm intrigued by their statement of
belief:

"The Satanic Temple seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by
acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we
construct a narrative context for our goals and works. Satan stands as the
ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational
inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness."

This suggests Milton's Satan, rather than the biblical-traditional one, is
really at the center of their self-conception. Is the desire to separation
Religion from Superstition and the acknowledgment of the metaphorical
(think of the Eucharist) really so far from Reformation theology?

Hannibal

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gregory:
>
> I suspect he's living out Anton LaVey's parable in The Satanic Bible:
>
> One day, one man said to another man on the street, "I will give you the
> secret to lifelong happiness, prosperity, and power if you hand over to me
> all the money that you have in your wallet right now." The second man,
> surprised, quickly handed over his money, and then first man leaned forward
> and whispered into his ear, "There's a sucker born every minute."
>
> We should let them pay to erect a useless monument so what we can laugh at
> them for laughing at us for allowing them to pay quite a bit of money to
> erect a useless monument.
>
> Jim R
>

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Gregory Machacek <
> Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu> wrote:
>
>> I take it the Satanist representative is being tongue-in-cheek when he
>> says the following:
>>
>> "We believe that all monuments should be in good taste and consistent
>> with community standards," Greaves wrote in letter to state officials. "Our
>> proposed monument, as an homage to the historic/literary Satan, will
>> certainly abide by these guidelines."
>>
>> I'll admit I don't know anything about serious modern-day Satanists, but
>> it would seem to me that either 1) their monument should not be in good
>> taste and consistent with community standards (i.e. be the negation of
>> those) or 2) the "community standards" he references are, a la Young
>> Goodman Brown, the actually Satanic ones in a professedly Christian
>> community.
>>
>> I'm trying to get at Greaves' tone in this quote.
>>

>> Greg Machacek
>> Professor of English
>> Marist College

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
Editor, *Reformation*
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall