[Milton-L] Pamphlet vs Pulpit?

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Sun Dec 8 22:15:56 EST 2013

Kemmer,

[This is from Carter, but I will read it to Stella when the excerpt from "Forza
del Destino" that she is listening to is finished--and then, close your ears
while she rebuketh me properly!]

As you well know, Stella and I much enjoy your poems, even those for which you
must do proper penance tomorrow, like this one praising that impecunious father
of so many that he had to sell out and accept a Deanship, that Undone Donne.

I am presently enjoying very much also several essays in MILTON'S RIVAL
HERMENEUTICS (ed. Richard DuRocher and Margaret Thickstun, Duquesne, 2012),
including one by our favorite Milton scholar, "Satan in PARADISE REGAINED: The
Quest for Identity." I find it helpful as well, to read the introductions and
follow the texts of both PR and of SAMSON AGONISTES in the same scholar's JOHN
MILTON'S SHORTER POEMS (Wiley-Blackwell).