[Milton-L] on a lighter note: Milton memes

Duran, Angelica A duran0 at purdue.edu
Sat Dec 7 17:22:21 EST 2013

Dear friends,

Here in the U.S.-Midwest, we do our part in trying to spread with cheer the good news of Mr. Milton.

Purdue (very strong in agriculture and entomology [the study of bugs]) has held its well-attended "Bug Bowl" for 17 years (see http://www.purdue.edu/uns/bugbowl/bugbowl.index.html). And nearly each year during my 13 years at Purdue, I've given extra credit for groups of students in my "Milton" course for participating in the "Bug Bowl Cake Decoration Contest" (see http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/bugbowl/contests.php) by creating a cake and cake-board that has a quotation from any of Milton's work that refers to bugs, with relevant cake depiction and textual citation. While I provide one cake mix box and one frosting tub to each team, the students often contribute more.

I am happy to say that my students often take all the ribbons in the adult category, and that my heart is warmed when I hear the parents, kids, and students who visit the display say things like "Paradise Lost, oh, I remember that," or when children ask who Milton is.  The grossest cake my students created was based on Lycidas's "Or Taint-worm to the weanling Herds that graze" (l. 46).
--
Adios,
Angelica Duran