[Milton-L] New Broadview Anthology of Milton's Poetry

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 09:05:06 EST 2013

I thought it was interesting that Broadview attempted this anthology, but
I've been asking myself the same question: for what course would I purchase
this volume?  Maybe a course on poetry and revolution? Early Modern poetry
and religion? Biblical reimaginings? But which of these courses wouldn't
also want to use at least selections from Paradise Lost?

The copy for this volume on Broadview's website begins with a series of
questions that are equally applicable to Paradise Lost:

"In Samson Agonistes, Milton's last great work, he addresses questions that
pressed insistently on the imagination of all who were unhappy with the
changes wrought by the Restoration. How do we respond to the experience of
defeat, and to fears of having been abandoned by the divine? How do we know
when our actions accord with divine will, or when they are fueled instead
by our fallen desires and weaknesses? At what point do accommodation and
compromise with an enemy become a failure of will? What constitutes true
heroism? To what extent is violence justified in the cause of freedom?"

http://www.broadviewpress.com/product.php?productid=1763&cat=0&page=1

I think they should have pushed up the page count to about 150 pages and
included at least selections from PL.

Jim R