[Milton-L] Thoughts on Milton and Satan?

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Wed Dec 4 18:28:00 EST 2013

It is definitely Tillyard, Milton (1930), I think page 239 (but this is from memory and might be wrong).  It comes on the same page as Tillyard's quip about Adam and Eve being in the rather hopeless position of two Old Age Pensioners endowed with eternal youth. And "Old Age Pensioner" in England in 1930 did not have quite the same resonance as it has today.

John Leonard