[Milton-L] Thoughts on Milton and Satan?

David Urban dvu2 at calvin.edu
Wed Dec 4 17:35:28 EST 2013

Inspired by Stella's comment, I thought I'd quote from C.S. Lewis on Satan:

"Hence all that is said about Milton's 'sympathy' with Satan, his
expression in Satan of his own pride, malice, folly, misery, and lust, is
true in a sense, but not in a sense peculiar to Milton.  The Satan in
Milton enables him to draw the character well just as the Satan in us
enables us to receive it.  Not as Milton, but as man, he has trodden the
burning marl, pursued vain war with heaven, and turned aside with leer
malign.  A fallen man *is* very much like a fallen angel.  That, indeed,
is one of the things which prevents the Satanic predicament from being
comic.  It is too near us."  --*Preface to "Paradise Lost,"* pgs. 98-99.

Regards,

David

David V. Urban, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English