[Milton-L] Bangor Restoration Conference 2013

Thomas Corns els009 at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Oct 12 04:32:00 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues:

A reminder that we are looking for panel suggestions for the 2013 Bangor
conference on the Restoration (details below). We have a number
of ideas for discussion sessions, on various aspects of the image of
monarchy in Britain and Ireland 1649-1714 - but before we started
approaching people to get these together, we wanted to be sure we didn’t
fill up space which might have been occupied by sessions other people
wanted to organise. Please, therefore, could you make sure you let us
know about any panels (or – with the provisos in the last paragraph
below – individual papers) which you are hoping to get together by mid
December. We will see what we have then, and start to work more actively
on our own plans.

Many thanks,

Tony Claydon, Tom Corns

The Bangor Conference on the Restoration: The image of monarchy,
1649-1714.

Professors Tony Claydon and Thomas N.Corns are delighted to announce the
dates, themes and plenary papers for the Bangor Restoration conference,
2013. Once again we invite everyone interested in the politics,
religion, culture or literature of Britain and Ireland in the later
seventeenth century to beautiful Snowdonia in North Wales for three days
of talks, panels, discussion and hospitality. For this meeting – and to
honour the late Professor Kevin Sharpe, who was a great friend of the
conference - we are adopting a theme, rather than examining a decade,
and will be discussing the image of the monarchy between the regicide
the death of Queen Anne. We wish to take a broad and interdisciplinary
approach to this topic – so contributions from the histories of
political thought, art, performance, music, theology, and other areas,
will be as welcome as those from political and social historians, or
from literary scholars. We also stress we welcome contributions
examining attacks on the monarchy and the image of the crown within
popular cultures, as well as those examining high politics, or
representations in elite literary or artistic forms.

The conference will run from lunchtime on Monday 29 July to lunchtime on
Wednesday 31 July. Our plenary talks will be:

Paul Hammond: Forms of monarchy in Dryden's Aeneis
Ann Hughes: Monarchy and patriarchy, 1649-1660
Anna Keay: Image wars: Charles II and the duke of Monmouth
David Loewenstein: Paradise Lost and monarchical image wars
John Morrill: Imagining monarchy in the commonwealths of Ireland and
Scotland

We welcome suggestions for 20-minute panel talks, particularly if they
are grouped into strongly-themed sessions of 2-3 papers. Thus, although
we will consider individual papers, and try to fit them into groups, we
do encourage people to try to form their own panels, or to suggest other
speakers who might provide papers which could complement their own.
Ideas and questions can be directed to Tony (t.claydon at bangor.ac.uk) or
to Tom (els009 at bangor.ac.uk), who will help getting groups together.
More information and booking forms will be available on the web in due
course. Please forward this message to anyone who might be interested
(particularly people new to the field or PhD students) – and ask them to
request being added to the e-mail list by writing to Linda Jones:
l.c.jones at bangor.ac.uk.

--
Rhif Elusen Gofrestredig / Registered Charity No. 1141565

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk