[Milton-L] Punctuation in 4.751-52

Feisal Mohamed f.mohamed00 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:24:04 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Editors seem to be divided on where to place commas in these lines.
The majority consensus (Leonard, Kerrigan et al., Lewalski, Fowler,
Flannagan) seems to be the following:

Of human offspring, sole propriety,
In Paradise of all things common else.

Hughes had dropped the comma at the end of 751:

Of human offspring, sole propriety
In Paradise of all things common else.

This matches, I think the sense--'in paradise' modifies
'propriety'--and the sound--the lines seem to me enjambed.  But it
creates an overly long stretch without a pause.  So after a quick scan
of my bookshelf, I think that Teskey is the editor who gets it exactly
right:

Of human offspring, sole propriety
In Paradise, of all things common else.

Are there reasons why this would not be the best alternative?

Curious,
Feisal