[Milton-L] Iliad Marathon Reading

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 22:27:08 EST 2012

I'm looking forward to this coming Sunday when the Portland Art
Museum is hosting a marathon reading of the Iliad.  This is in
conjunction with the current exhibit "The Body Beautiful in
Ancient Greece," which will run until January 6.  This collection
is primarily sculptures from the British Museum. The centerpiece
is the Diskobolus, original by Myron. I spent nearly two hours at
the exhibit this morning and will go again and concentrate on the
pottery, equal in amount if not mind-bending awesomeness, to the
statues.  And the print gallery has an exhibit I didn't get to at
all, "Mythologus." I only went to the museum to renew my
membership, but they asked me if I'd like to see the exhibit. I
was surprised, because they've made quite a point of having timed
tickets, but apparently Friday morning was a slow time.

I don't know what translation(s) they will be using for the
reading, but the web site says that the words will be projected
overhead. A similar reading apparently was done earlier this year
in London in conjunction with the Olympics.  Apparently the
company running this, Eventora,does this kind of event quite widely.

Unlike any Paradise Lost marathon I've been to, you pay to attend
this one. Here is the PAM main web site, and you can navigate
from there.  http://www.portlandartmuseum.org/

I didn't know about this until yesterday, or I would have let you
all know earlier.  As it is, they have plenty of reading slots
open in the evening but are all filled up to about 1700 hours,
according to an email I just received.

This exhibit is worth going out of your way for.  If you'll be in
Portland and would like to see it, let me know as I can get
tickets through my membership.

Best to all,

Nancy Charlton