[Milton-L] The Supreme Milton Artist

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:26:21 EST 2012

>Not to be too skeptical, but is there any direct evidence that Klimt ever read Milton?

Dear Aaron:

right. In the brief but well documented biography I've just read there
was no reference to Milton. Didn't read a thicker book (not yet, at
least).

Anyway, it wasn't even necessary: Milton modified 'once and for all'
the way of reading Genesis. As far as I know, his thought/imagery was
quite widespread among European independent intellectuals in the 19th
century and around. Basically any artistic group backing
counterculture: Symbolism, Secession, Decadentism, Mauditism, ... had
a _Miltonian approach_ to the Bible (see features listed in the

But, of course, it would be great to find out that there was an
explicit link. Something to work on. I conceive the process of
interpretation as a starting point, not as a 'last word.' That sounds
quite Miltonian, incidentally ;-)

Best!