[Milton-L] The Supreme Milton Artist

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 10:35:17 EST 2012

>Can we make a case for specifically Milton as
opposed to generically Edenic, though?

Good point, Jim.
Well, Klimt was termed a "neo-Baroque" artist. His Eden-view is not
generic but on the Miltonian side, I suggest, because of the other
factors listed above, and some more specific ones: the focus on
psychology, a certain morbidness, and philosophical ambiguity (on
Satan's side?), as well as the theatrical dramatization and expansion
of the plot, and with human attitudes being turned into living
characters (see Klimt's Beethoven Frieze) etc. --- all of that did not
belong, or not that way, say, to the Medieval representations of
Genesis.

Thanks. Best!