[Milton-L] Wordsworth?

Harold Skulsky hskulsky at smith.edu
Sun Mar 25 13:26:09 EDT 2012

Carroll, I want to join Mario, and what I'm sure are all the Milton-L
regulars, in wishing youa totally successful operation. I'm pulling for
you. Cheers, Harold

>>> "Mario A. DiCesare" <dicesare1 at mindspring.com> 3/25/2012 1:06 PM

Good luck, Carrol!!!

Mario

On 3/25/2012 12:49 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

Though I had read it several times, I only actually ‘discovered’ the
Prelude a couple years before my eyes failed me. Early in Book 1 he
echoes the final lines of PL, re a place of rest. I haven’t read much
commentary on the Prelude & can’t recommend any. I think most editions
of the poem have a footnote at least noting the echo & the implicit
claims such an echo carries for the poem. I think epic poets have to be
a bit arrogant ever even to start their poems. And to challenge
comparison with PL is pretty impressive. If current trials of surgical
treatment of macular degeneration pan out soon enough to help an
octogenarian, the Prelude may be the first book I pick up. I’m not,
however, as they say holding my breath.

Carrol