[Milton-L] Wordsworth?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 25 12:49:32 EDT 2012

Though I had read it several times, I only actually 'discovered' the Prelude
a couple years before my eyes failed me. Early in Book 1 he echoes the final
lines of PL, re a place of rest. I haven't read much commentary on the
Prelude & can't recommend any. I think most editions of the poem have a
footnote at least noting the echo & the implicit claims such an echo carries
for the poem. I think epic poets have to be a bit arrogant ever even to
start their poems. And to challenge comparison with PL is pretty impressive.
If current trials of surgical treatment of macular degeneration pan out soon
enough to help an octogenarian, the Prelude may be the first book I pick up.
I'm not, however, as they say holding my breath.

Carrol

  _____